San Diego Rvrs!

Go Back   San Diego Rvrs! > Forum > General Discussion > San Diego Rvrs
Home Forums Photos Arcade Experience Register Members List Calendar Gameroom [0]

Shoutbox

Welcome to the San Diego Rvrs forums!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free San Diego based community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! As an added benefit, this message will be removed from all pages once you have joined. Great huh?

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Liquid10-26 Steve-O smoking at Pure RAVE ON ! www.djlazyboy.com

Old 04-24-2007   #1
moody
DnB is my religion.

Shouts: 0
Gameroom cash: $500
moody is nice sometimes.moody is nice sometimes.
Points: 6,434, Level: 8 Points: 6,434, Level: 8 Points: 6,434, Level: 8
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
BRAINSTORM: How can we improve the scene in SD?

I think this is a good time to brainstorm about how we can improve the scene here in SD.

There's been a lot of focus on what is wrong and doesn't work, so let's turn our attention to more positive things and focus on solutions...

So what do you think? We all have unique gifts that we can share to make things better...what's yours?
moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007   #2
cunt
fully awesome.

Shouts: 808
Gameroom cash: $19371
Thanked 3,839 Times in 2,006 Posts
cunt is the master of all that is SDR.cunt is the master of all that is SDR.cunt is the master of all that is SDR.cunt is the master of all that is SDR.cunt is the master of all that is SDR.cunt is the master of all that is SDR.cunt is the master of all that is SDR.cunt is the master of all that is SDR.cunt is the master of all that is SDR.cunt is the master of all that is SDR.cunt is the master of all that is SDR.
Points: 152,021, Level: 40 Points: 152,021, Level: 40 Points: 152,021, Level: 40
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
book coldcut and kid koala.

"Now why is there no girl bringing home food? Here's this thread and suddenly she's in bed. " - CLASSIC SARA

cunt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cunt For This Useful Post:
biddy (04-26-2007), mjm (04-25-2007)
Old 04-24-2007   #3
jonwesleydj
BARELY USED USER

Gameroom cash: $1312
jonwesleydj is nice sometimes.
Points: 5,822, Level: 8 Points: 5,822, Level: 8 Points: 5,822, Level: 8
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Activity: 5.1% Activity: 5.1% Activity: 5.1%
I like what Steve said but I think -- seriously -- that SD folks need to keep supporting parties featuring local djs and not stand for $20.00 cover charges that allow big name djs to drive the parties. I love having guest performers who want to contribute something, not just blow into town, take our money and split. If you throw a party, and you want guest djs to peak curiosity and get jaded people out of their houses, then book people who have never been here before.

Maybe if people get curious again they might start checking out new shit.

Oh yeah and do something different. Ritchie Hawtin made a name for himself as a dj and producer but he really got noticed in the beginning by throwing some amazing parties with unique ideas that people talked about because they were different.

it's the same old question that has been asked here and everywhere for many years, but maybe this time around we can all come up with something fresh to make the scene better. Or to create an actual movement and not a just a scene--that would be ideal.
jonwesleydj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jonwesleydj For This Useful Post:
Josh Ritter (05-23-2007), moody (04-25-2007), paragon (04-25-2007), Sean Pyerz (04-25-2007), Skandar (04-25-2007)
Old 04-25-2007   #4
moody
DnB is my religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwesleydj View Post
I like what Steve said but I think -- seriously -- that SD folks need to keep supporting parties featuring local djs and not stand for $20.00 cover charges that allow big name djs to drive the parties. I love having guest performers who want to contribute something, not just blow into town, take our money and split. If you throw a party, and you want guest djs to peak curiosity and get jaded people out of their houses, then book people who have never been here before.

Oh yeah and do something different. Ritchie Hawtin made a name for himself as a dj and producer but he really got noticed in the beginning by throwing some amazing parties with unique ideas that people talked about because they were different.

it's the same old question that has been asked here and everywhere for many years, but maybe this time around we can all come up with something fresh to make the scene better. Or to create an actual movement and not a just a scene--that would be ideal.
i like the way you think. these are some good ideas...
Old 04-25-2007   #5
Eloc
Cert. Groove Technician

Gameroom cash: $510
Eloc is nice sometimes.
Points: 3,769, Level: 7 Points: 3,769, Level: 7 Points: 3,769, Level: 7
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Send a message via AIM to Eloc
Quote:

Good thoughts...seriously. I can't wait to play out, personally.
Old 04-25-2007   #6
Skandar
part-time rock star

Shouts: 314
Gameroom cash: $22417
Thanked 6,010 Times in 3,530 Posts
Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.
Points: 66,400, Level: 26 Points: 66,400, Level: 26 Points: 66,400, Level: 26
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Activity: 14.3% Activity: 14.3% Activity: 14.3%
My one suggestions is for people to go to parties they've never gone to before and support crews they've never supported before - at least to know what else is out there. I see people complain all the time about how there's nothing to do, or how it's always the same shit going on. Those are usually the same people who only go out to parties their friends are throwing with the same DJ's they've seen 2348972340982374 times.

Go check out a Merge Events party - they are doing some awesome, different shit. Go check out some dubstep if you've never heard it before. Be adventurous and drive out into the desert some weekend for a random party thrown by a crew you've never partied with. If you're bored with the same-old-same-old then TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

Omega Squad on Beatport

www.soundcloud.com/TheOmegaSquad

www.soundcloud.com/TheSkandar

Last edited by Skandar; 04-25-2007 at 09:28 AM..
Skandar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skandar For This Useful Post:
fightthepower (04-25-2007), moody (04-25-2007)
Old 04-25-2007   #7
ApHtErSDR
SDR Admin

Shouts: 651
Gameroom cash: $24050
Thanked 3,598 Times in 1,895 Posts
ApHtErSDR is the master of all that is SDR.ApHtErSDR is the master of all that is SDR.ApHtErSDR is the master of all that is SDR.ApHtErSDR is the master of all that is SDR.ApHtErSDR is the master of all that is SDR.ApHtErSDR is the master of all that is SDR.ApHtErSDR is the master of all that is SDR.ApHtErSDR is the master of all that is SDR.ApHtErSDR is the master of all that is SDR.ApHtErSDR is the master of all that is SDR.ApHtErSDR is the master of all that is SDR.
Points: 1,178,231, Level: 100 Points: 1,178,231, Level: 100 Points: 1,178,231, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
I really think more promoters need to post their stuff on SDR and 4raverz.

So people know there is more shit going on.

Im also thinking of putting together the mailing list again... need to talk to matt about it... and send out a monthly // bi monthly newsletter with upcoming events , links to pictures of events that just happened... dj reviews and links to mixes....

But ill need your mixes... and ill need you to put up pictures from your events.. or we have no content to show....

The more the people know about whats going on .. the better chance we have of more people showing up.

--Tony

Upcoming gigs | Shows im throwing

SDR's 15th year anniversary... sometime soon... this year im going to do it damnit

SDRavers.net Resident

My Sites
SD Ravers.net

ApHtEr'S Facebook
ApHtErSDR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApHtErSDR For This Useful Post:
Josh Ritter (05-23-2007)
Old 04-25-2007   #8
fightthepower

fightthepower is nice sometimes.
Points: 2,253, Level: 5 Points: 2,253, Level: 5 Points: 2,253, Level: 5
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
We're doing another underground May 19th.

Undergroundisdead@gmail.com

and/or

www.myspace.com/undergroundisdead for info

this one will be promoted a little more than our last april 10th, but still not flyerd.

Im pretty new to this "scene", but Philly and I are trying to do our part to try and through some good parties in San Diego. Without just repeating what Skandar and Jonwesley said: go to more parties, expand your horizons, stay positive and focus on good vibes and good people! (a little organization and proper planning helps alot too..)

Old 04-25-2007   #9
moody
DnB is my religion.

Awesome.

So far we have:

1. If you're a promoter, think outside the box...do something creative and different that people have not experienced before.

2. Support parties that book local talent.

3. Go to parties you've never gone to before and explore different genres of music.

4. Expand mailing lists and on-line promo

GOOD JOB guys. Keep the ideas comin'....
Old 04-25-2007   #10
moody
DnB is my religion.

oh, and book DJ Pain.

like Skandar said, he's SD's best kept secret. check out his new mix on this thread:

http://www.sdravers.net/new-2007-mix...tml#post542330
Old 04-25-2007   #11
baquai
wha?

Shouts: 24
Gameroom cash: $16237
Thanked 4,231 Times in 2,315 Posts
baquai is the master of all that is SDR.baquai is the master of all that is SDR.baquai is the master of all that is SDR.baquai is the master of all that is SDR.baquai is the master of all that is SDR.baquai is the master of all that is SDR.baquai is the master of all that is SDR.baquai is the master of all that is SDR.baquai is the master of all that is SDR.baquai is the master of all that is SDR.baquai is the master of all that is SDR.
Points: 59,494, Level: 25 Points: 59,494, Level: 25 Points: 59,494, Level: 25
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Remember who throws good events and who throws bad/not so good ones. Don't keep supporting those who just can't cut it. I am not pointing fingers in this thread. That way you can pass the info along to other partiers and say "go to (insert name here) party this weekend, their last one was off the hook"...
Rather than just, "I don't know who was involved, but that party sucked" or "don't know who did it, but that party rocked".

It's important to experiment, but also to understand the positive influences in this town or any town. Those people are the ones that need the support and deserve it.

I'm not jaded as some call it, just realistic. Not everyone has something to contribute on the "throwing/promoting" party side, just like not everyone has something to contribute on the decorating side, or the booking side.

Again, if anyone is interested in being a part of an event, just remember it is A LOT OF WORK... you can have all the fun you want, but you still have to make sure everything is going well, etc. etc.

August 10th - Desert Party
TBA - Goodghost 10+ year anniversary

TBA - SDRavers 10+ year anniversary

Goodghost Army on Facebook HERE
GOODGHOSTARMY.com
baquai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baquai For This Useful Post:
biddy (04-27-2007), Dook (04-25-2007)
Old 04-25-2007   #12
baquai
wha?

baquai is the master of all that is SDR.baquai is the master of all that is SDR.baquai is the master of all that is SDR.baquai is the master of all that is SDR.baquai is the master of all that is SDR.baquai is the master of all that is SDR.baquai is the master of all that is SDR.baquai is the master of all that is SDR.baquai is the master of all that is SDR.baquai is the master of all that is SDR.baquai is the master of all that is SDR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightthepower View Post
We're doing another underground May 19th.

Undergroundisdead@gmail.com

and/or

www.myspace.com/undergroundisdead for info
For example, this party was DOPE last time... word of mouth, not flyers, and a great crowd and great sound, music, drinks, lighting, everything went great...

OH, if you're throwing something, make a to do list for the pre-party setup, and one for the night of... it helps tremendously.

GOODGHOSTARMY.com
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to baquai For This Useful Post:
Dook (04-25-2007), fightthepower (04-25-2007), moody (04-25-2007), Payola (04-25-2007)
Old 04-25-2007   #13
fightthepower

fightthepower is nice sometimes.
Points: 2,253, Level: 5 Points: 2,253, Level: 5 Points: 2,253, Level: 5
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Quote:
Originally Posted by baquai View Post
For example, this party was DOPE last time... word of mouth, not flyers, and a great crowd and great sound, music, drinks, lighting, everything went great...

OH, if you're throwing something, make a to do list for the pre-party setup, and one for the night of... it helps tremendously.

yeah.... we learned that the hard way. Set-up was a *LITTLE* hectic trying to do everything in one day haha.
Old 04-25-2007   #14
Sean Pyerz
House / Techno

Gameroom cash: $1381
Sean Pyerz is nice sometimes.Sean Pyerz is nice sometimes.
Points: 5,828, Level: 8 Points: 5,828, Level: 8 Points: 5,828, Level: 8
Activity: 5.7% Activity: 5.7% Activity: 5.7%
I like all of the ideas that have been stated. Everyone wants a "better" scene and obviously are willing, and want to support so we just need to do it.

Since there are at least a few people on this board active in the scene, I agree with Aphter on there needing to be more promotion on here, and even 4raverz. Then good old word of mouth comes into play as well. We learn about something going on then tell our friends, they tell theres, and so on. When threads are created to promote parties people need to take notice and bump the threads. I see many threads get lost because people don't pay attention to them.

MORE street promo can be effective as well. Don't rely on e-promo for everything. Posters all over town, fliers at all the music stores, not just the few dance music stores we have . . . cafes, other clubs ... etc. (if your doing a club night, or bar night)

The high cover prices are not ideal either. Personally I have always thought it's a good idea to do like, free b4 10, then like 5 bucks after. Maybe 10 if you bring out a non-local talent. And more local talent needs to be recognized, we have a lot of great talent right here in SD and it's not always necessary to bring in talent.

My thoughts for now ...

Mixes:
SoundCloud

Last edited by Sean Pyerz; 04-25-2007 at 10:53 AM..
Sean Pyerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sean Pyerz For This Useful Post:
moody (04-25-2007)
Old 04-25-2007   #15
baquai
wha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightthepower View Post
yeah.... we learned that the hard way. Set-up was a *LITTLE* hectic trying to do everything in one day haha.
Let me know if you need sound again (or atleast the contact info) or shit, any help, I'm down to do whatever for you guys...

GOODGHOSTARMY.com
Old 04-25-2007   #16
Sean Pyerz
House / Techno

Gameroom cash: $1381
Sean Pyerz is nice sometimes.Sean Pyerz is nice sometimes.
Points: 5,828, Level: 8 Points: 5,828, Level: 8 Points: 5,828, Level: 8
Activity: 5.7% Activity: 5.7% Activity: 5.7%
Quote:
Originally Posted by moody View Post
oh, and book DJ Pain.

like Skandar said, he's SD's best kept secret. check out his new mix on this thread:

This guy IS dope! That mix is f'in awesome!!

Mixes:
SoundCloud

Sean Pyerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007   #17
Skandar
part-time rock star

Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moody View Post
oh, and book DJ Pain.

This would fall under the category of "think outside the box."

Omega Squad on Beatport

Old 04-25-2007   #18
Skandar
part-time rock star

Quote:
Let me know if you need sound again (or atleast the contact info) or shit, any help, I'm down to do whatever for you guys...
Also feel free to hit me up if you want a piece of the soundsystem Philly almost got to play on this past weekend.

Omega Squad on Beatport

Old 04-25-2007   #19
Red Sonya

Gameroom cash: $537
Red Sonya is very friendly.Red Sonya is very friendly.
Points: 8,593, Level: 10 Points: 8,593, Level: 10 Points: 8,593, Level: 10
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%
i always found email as a great promoting tool. @ vinyl elements in the past, i'd walk around w/ a clipboard and collect email addresses. good way to mingle with your crowd, and gives you the opportunity to invite them back again.

(info@vinylelements619.com)<<<<<
moody (04-26-2007), Sean Pyerz (04-25-2007)
Old 04-25-2007   #20
red_man
Registered Abuser
! and ! Champion

Shouts: 119
Gameroom cash: $8423
Thanked 2,648 Times in 1,639 Posts
red_man is the master of all that is SDR.red_man is the master of all that is SDR.red_man is the master of all that is SDR.red_man is the master of all that is SDR.red_man is the master of all that is SDR.red_man is the master of all that is SDR.red_man is the master of all that is SDR.red_man is the master of all that is SDR.red_man is the master of all that is SDR.red_man is the master of all that is SDR.red_man is the master of all that is SDR.
Points: 45,672, Level: 22 Points: 45,672, Level: 22 Points: 45,672, Level: 22
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
You know what I noticed...I keep overhearing kids wanting more free promo mixes at parties. I think it's more of a "souvenir"...most kids who are new to a rave scene like to collect flyer's, mixes..etc. I'm over 21 but I chill with plenty of college students who can't get into 21+ shows, can't afford the 20 dollars to get in(let alone the over-priced water, food, etc.), blah blah blah....
I go to 2 colleges....I KNOW for a fact that if you promoted the shit out of some of the local colleges...you'ld be suprised at the turn-outs.
Old 04-25-2007   #21
jonwesleydj
BARELY USED USER

Gameroom cash: $1312
jonwesleydj is nice sometimes.
Points: 5,822, Level: 8 Points: 5,822, Level: 8 Points: 5,822, Level: 8
Activity: 5.1% Activity: 5.1% Activity: 5.1%
I think this thread is a great example of what can be done. We should use the tools that are already available first (Thanks to all involved with SDR for keeping this going for so long!!). It's nice that Moody brought it up. Things in SD are actually better now then they were years ago, but they still suck in many cases. The underground could thrive if there were more venues but we've got Baquai marketing for Montage, The Honey Beehive, Kava, Kadan and (many) others that provide reliable venues for what we want to do. More and more undergrounds are taking place again and that's exciting, but history repeating will remind us that conservative San Diego will find someway to get in the way of that.

Everyone here has great ideas and a lot of experience so it shows how much potential there is SD.

Bringing new people into the fold, and like Sonya said, walking around, meeting new people and collecting contact info is priceless. Maybe we could start an opt-in coalition that shares that info among the people who contribute to it.

Giving bedroom djs a chance to play out and bring their friends will add a lot of new people, and making sure that everyone ( a great point that Baquai made) who experiences the goodness or the badness knows who was involved, allowing them to tell other people what is good or bad. This will help a lot.

Maybe we could really promote the party reviews section on SDR,
The mailing list that Tony mentioned would be great. I would love to donate some design or marketing time for that or other ventures. I'm sure many others would too.

there was a great resource recently that was sorely neglected and consequently was taken from us. SDDJ.org. I wish we could have offered that thing more support. Thanks to whoever did that, I know it was a shitload of work for nothing.

anyway there's a lot of good shit going on, let's keep it up.
jonwesleydj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007   #22
Trancehed
Fuck that bitch Mandy

Shouts: 502
Gameroom cash: $29977
Thanked 6,078 Times in 3,617 Posts
Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.
Points: 111,445, Level: 34 Points: 111,445, Level: 34 Points: 111,445, Level: 34
Send a message via AIM to Trancehed Send a message via Yahoo to Trancehed
expand your promoting. There are literally hundreds (I'd say 500+) of ravers in SD county that post on other rave sites like 4raverz.com and ravelinks.com that either don't like this site, or more commonly have never heard of it. They all bitch about driving up to LA every weekend for shitty parties, cause they never hear about the good ones here. BUT, we also have to be embracing of the new ones.. and often young ones. And unfortunately many of them are irresponsible because they have no good role models. So embrace them, guide them, but don't shun them because they are different than you

And above all, just fuckin party. Drop the attitudes. Stop making it more than it is. And just have some fun. That's what it's all supposed to be about right??!!

T R A N C E

A sandwich is a sandwich. But a manwich is a meal.

Trancehed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trancehed For This Useful Post:
Channel Smurfer (04-25-2007), Josh Ritter (05-23-2007), moody (04-27-2007)
Old 04-25-2007   #23
Skandar
part-time rock star

Quote:
Giving bedroom djs a chance to play out and bring their friends will add a lot of new people, and making sure that everyone ( a great point that Baquai made) who experiences the goodness or the badness knows who was involved, allowing them to tell other people what is good or bad. This will help a lot.
IF they are ready to play out. IMO the worst thing you can do to a party is let a DJ play who's not ready just because they'll bring people with them.

Omega Squad on Beatport

The Following User Says Thank You to Skandar For This Useful Post:
Channel Smurfer (04-25-2007)
Old 04-25-2007   #24
raevol
*twitch*

Gameroom cash: $503
raevol is nice sometimes.
Points: 4,477, Level: 7 Points: 4,477, Level: 7 Points: 4,477, Level: 7
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%
Send a message via AIM to raevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_red View Post
You know what I noticed...I keep overhearing kids wanting more free promo mixes at parties. I think it's more of a "souvenir"...most kids who are new to a rave scene like to collect flyer's, mixes..etc. I'm over 21 but I chill with plenty of college students who can't get into 21+ shows, can't afford the 20 dollars to get in(let alone the over-priced water, food, etc.), blah blah blah....
I go to 2 colleges....I KNOW for a fact that if you promoted the shit out of some of the local colleges...you'ld be suprised at the turn-outs.
Amen to that. Look at Let's Bounce.
raevol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007   #25
Eloc
Cert. Groove Technician

Gameroom cash: $510
Eloc is nice sometimes.
Points: 3,769, Level: 7 Points: 3,769, Level: 7 Points: 3,769, Level: 7
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Send a message via AIM to Eloc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skandar View Post
IF they are ready to play out. IMO the worst thing you can do to a party is let a DJ play who's not ready just because they'll bring people with them.
...not only that, but it is detrimental to the DJs future. No DJ should play out before they are solid in their mixing skills and have confidence. People will remember that lousy set forever even if his/her skills do improve. I've seen it happen on several occasions. The sad part is...it's normally the young party kid who is die hard and passionate about the music and just can't wait until his skills match his motivation levels.
Old 04-25-2007   #26
Jon E Thin
Underground Desert Rat

Shouts: 5
Gameroom cash: $3394
Jon E Thin is very famous.Jon E Thin is very famous.Jon E Thin is very famous.Jon E Thin is very famous.Jon E Thin is very famous.Jon E Thin is very famous.Jon E Thin is very famous.Jon E Thin is very famous.Jon E Thin is very famous.
Points: 19,158, Level: 14 Points: 19,158, Level: 14 Points: 19,158, Level: 14
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Activity: 4.8% Activity: 4.8% Activity: 4.8%
BRAINSTORM: How can we improve the scene in SD?

TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO

Bookings 2013

Beyond!
Jon E Thin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon E Thin For This Useful Post:
AnotherDamnChris (04-25-2007), Dook (04-25-2007), paragon (04-25-2007), Payola (04-26-2007), red_man (04-27-2007)
Old 04-25-2007   #27
Skandar
part-time rock star

LOL @ Jon E. It was so simple all along - if we just walk around yelling "TECHNO" then the scene will improve itself!

Omega Squad on Beatport

Old 04-25-2007   #28
baquai
wha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skandar View Post
LOL @ Jon E. It was so simple all along - if we just walk around yelling "TECHNO" then the scene will improve itself!
It's true, I've yelled "TECHNO" at many parties, and everyone yells back and jumps up and down and rocks out for about 5 seconds... then they go back about their business...

GOODGHOSTARMY.com
Old 04-25-2007   #29
robyn
I like Effen.

robyn is nice sometimes.
Points: 2,315, Level: 5 Points: 2,315, Level: 5 Points: 2,315, Level: 5
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Techno?! Where? *jumps up and down*

I agree. Sick web sites. Simple flyers posted on school bulletins. Flyers with hot chicks on em. Up-to-date Myspace...it's not rocket science

Oh and advertise cheap drinks and full service bar for all my winos out there *holla!* I mean how many times have I blown $100 on just drink for just myself at Broadway? Cheap booze- I'm there.
robyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007   #30
paragon
ImNotReal

Shouts: 1
Gameroom cash: $677
paragon is an upstanding member of society.paragon is an upstanding member of society.paragon is an upstanding member of society.paragon is an upstanding member of society.
Points: 13,570, Level: 12 Points: 13,570, Level: 12 Points: 13,570, Level: 12
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Send a message via ICQ to paragon Send a message via AIM to paragon
Quote:
Remember who throws good events and who throws bad/not so good ones. Don't keep supporting those who just can't cut it.
Hey IDEA!!!!! How about a promoter ranking system. I can grade my teachers on myspace, why can't i grade my god damn promoters on SDR!!!! We've all been to wack parties, only to find out its the same crew you swore off last time......

Last edited by paragon; 04-25-2007 at 07:56 PM..
paragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007   #31
paragon
ImNotReal

paragon is an upstanding member of society.paragon is an upstanding member of society.paragon is an upstanding member of society.paragon is an upstanding member of society.
actually..... thats generally more of a problem with LA promoters.....

In general most of the parties i goto in SD are pretty chill. I made the comment after lucky clover that we need to make sure there's security at most events. Security is not just to bust lil dealer thugs, but more importantly keep everyone safe from drunk assholes who wana throw down.

I guess there's also simple follow through. If your event hits a giant road block, and you can only provide 1/2 of what you promised, give people a heads up. It's not fair to let people expect one thing, show up, and be pissed when they could have gone somewhere else. It might suck, but its part of the game.

Other than that i don't get what people bitch about all the time. undergrounds are usually tiny, unpolished, and kind of dingy. Thats what makes them undergrounds!. Unless you're rolled out of your gord, its gonna be kind of grubby because you're not at a massive with all the bells and whistles. I still love em, hell i prefer em. I'm there for the peeps, and the music. I thinka lot of people expect a mini massive at every underground they hit up. I don't think people know what they want, and there's not much you can do to change that.

Last edited by paragon; 04-25-2007 at 08:11 PM..
Old 04-25-2007   #32
cunt
fully awesome.

Shouts: 808
Gameroom cash: $19371
Thanked 3,839 Times in 2,006 Posts
cunt is the master of all that is SDR.cunt is the master of all that is SDR.cunt is the master of all that is SDR.cunt is the master of all that is SDR.cunt is the master of all that is SDR.cunt is the master of all that is SDR.cunt is the master of all that is SDR.cunt is the master of all that is SDR.cunt is the master of all that is SDR.cunt is the master of all that is SDR.cunt is the master of all that is SDR.
Points: 152,021, Level: 40 Points: 152,021, Level: 40 Points: 152,021, Level: 40
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
curious... are most of the "good" parties in other cities in clubs (established legal venues) or in outlaw locations? can a "party" be in a club type place?

"Now why is there no girl bringing home food? Here's this thread and suddenly she's in bed. " - CLASSIC SARA

cunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007   #33
paragon
ImNotReal

All the parties i've been to in the bay area have been total UG. One was in a warehouse on the port of SF, the other on half moon bay on the beach.Those where both way sick. The only legal events i've been to where the love parades, which where in front of city hall, but thats a "massive" type event. It was pretty dope too. They have a ton of club events up here, i just dont care to go to any of them. I do like bars, but thats because i'm irish, and i have a passion for consuming large quanities of whiskey while listening to loud agressive DnB (and sometimes techno).

I refer to events at bars as parties, but in reality it's more like going to a concert. And strangely enough, i also consume large quantities of whiskey while listening to loud agressive rock concerts as well...... i see a pattern here. Again i think it comes down to knowing what you want out of an event, both clubs and UG's serve their own purpose. Don't expect a rave at a club or vice versa.

Go see a band play @ the Casbah, Then go see a DJ play at a club or Bar and try and tell me there's a difference..... Hell i even saw a bunch of white kids dancing to funk music @ the casbah! The Coup roolz......

Last edited by paragon; 04-25-2007 at 10:55 PM..
Old 04-26-2007   #34
moody
DnB is my religion.

Quote:
I think this thread is a great example of what can be done. We should use the tools that are already available first (Thanks to all involved with SDR for keeping this going for so long!!). It's nice that Moody brought it up. Things in SD are actually better now then they were years ago, but they still suck in many cases. The underground could thrive if there were more venues but we've got Baquai marketing for Montage, The Honey Beehive, Kava, Kadan and (many) others that provide reliable venues for what we want to do. More and more undergrounds are taking place again and that's exciting, but history repeating will remind us that conservative San Diego will find someway to get in the way of that.

Everyone here has great ideas and a lot of experience so it shows how much potential there is SD.

Bringing new people into the fold, and like Sonya said, walking around, meeting new people and collecting contact info is priceless. Maybe we could start an opt-in coalition that shares that info among the people who contribute to it.

Maybe we could really promote the party reviews section on SDR,
The mailing list that Tony mentioned would be great. I would love to donate some design or marketing time for that or other ventures. I'm sure many others would too.

there was a great resource recently that was sorely neglected and consequently was taken from us. SDDJ.org. I wish we could have offered that thing more support. Thanks to whoever did that, I know it was a shitload of work for nothing.

anyway there's a lot of good shit going on, let's keep it up.
good ideas, jon. thanx for your input.
Old 04-26-2007   #35
Mezi

Gameroom cash: $
1. Theres needs to be more an effort in interior decor. Environments that stimulate your imagination, design that compliments the music.

2. better flyers maybe? Visuals at parties a must; gives people something to talk about/space out to.

3. blending different genres of music. even I get bored of an all dubstep set. Break out of your genre lock and throw down some michael jackson halfway into your set, keep people on their feet.

playing fast music when no ones dancing seems really bizarre to me. I saw some guy spinning (floss my teeth with a knife) tech house the other night to a group of lifeless barflys. if it doesnt work, change it up!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Dook (04-26-2007), jonwesleydj (05-27-2007), moody (04-27-2007), Trancehed (04-26-2007)
Old 04-26-2007   #36
Skandar
part-time rock star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium363 View Post
1. Theres needs to be more an effort in interior decor. Environments that stimulate your imagination, design that compliments the music.

2. better flyers maybe? Visuals at parties a must; gives people something to talk about/space out to.
Agreed. This adds a lot of life to lifeless spaces and will give people something to remember about your event.

Quote:
3. blending different genres of music. even I get bored of an all dubstep set. Break out of your genre lock and throw down some michael jackson halfway into your set, keep people on their feet.
I don't know about something as random as that, but I do think that there are far too many single-genre parties. Clearly there is a market for nights like Deep for the hardcore heads, but I think people want, and deserve, variety in their nights out. Even if they don't know that's what they want - nothing wrong with introducing people to something they wouldn't have heard otherwise, as long as it's done tastefully.

Quote:
playing fast music when no ones dancing seems really bizarre to me. I saw some guy spinning (floss my teeth with a knife) tech house the other night to a group of lifeless barflys. if it doesnt work, change it up!
This one gets a GOLD STAR. Too many DJ's are stuck in their particular sub-subgenre and can't think outside the box. When things go wrong and people aren't feelin the vibe you're putting out, you need to be able to switch it up a little bit.

Omega Squad on Beatport

Old 04-26-2007   #37
baquai
wha?

Multi genres... YAH.... this also gets the crowd that is "open" to other forms of music, yah, for an hour or so it may not be their style of music, but they can go have a cigarette, drink, whatever, talk with friends, etc. etc. If the party lasts like 8+ hours, 1 hour of something you don't really like is nothing...

Trip To Raver Hell... I had Abbey Normal aka Confuscious spin DnB and she was the only one all night and I had people asking all night, "when is Abbey going on"... I put her on at 1am or 2am I believe, primetime and she BLEW IT UP...
it can be done if you just have that vibe at your events...

oh, and decorations, visuals, spend some money renting lighting, something... don't expect people to pay $10+ just for some turntables and speakers...
oh and good sound!!!

GOODGHOSTARMY.com
Old 04-26-2007   #38
Skandar
part-time rock star

Quote:
oh and good sound!!!
Just having good sound doesn't cut it - you need someone who knows how to set the sound up right, tune it to the space, and tweak it throughout the night so it stays sounding good. This is something I've slowly gotten better at by learning from pros, paying attention at my own events, and listening to feedback from the audience.

Omega Squad on Beatport

Old 04-26-2007   #39
UPG
www.upgartists.com

Gameroom cash: $1469
UPG is very friendly.UPG is very friendly.
Points: 7,642, Level: 9 Points: 7,642, Level: 9 Points: 7,642, Level: 9
Level up: 71% Level up: 71% Level up: 71%
Activity: 3.0% Activity: 3.0% Activity: 3.0%
I think the scene has really picked up over the last year. We all have a pretty good idea of what needs to be done, now it's a matter of action. There's plenty of obstacles that prevent alot of UG events but all that means is we all have to become more creative & determined to make them happen.
I stongly believe that "Nothing worth having comes easy" and thats something that has always applied to every aspect of my live. It's all that much greater of an accomplishment.

As for the "mainstream" events at clubs, lounges and bars they've been thriving farely well. Bringing alot of new crews & DJs to the lime light and also bringing more knowledge of different genres to the "Down & Up Town" party life.

My suggestions:
1. I think there needs to more "UNITY" between the small production crews, if enough of use work together we can through bigger events and "Unite" our crowds for better out come....allowing room to take risk on not so well known headliners or big headliners who haven't played in SD before. Ultimately educating everyone on different DJs & generes...more knowledge more power.

2. When it comes to throughing each individual event, I think we should all get together once a month so we can all be on the same page....avoiding throughing big events on the same night and so we can all support each others events. Overall just being more connected....since we're all apart of the "SAME SCENE".

This whole scene is live & learn, I don't think anyone has it down to a science.
As long as we all do our part and our best (like alot of us have been doing) then scene will continue to grow bigger, better and strong then it's ever been.

Last edited by UPG; 04-26-2007 at 04:04 PM..
UPG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UPG For This Useful Post:
Josh Ritter (05-23-2007), moody (04-27-2007), red_man (04-27-2007)
Old 04-26-2007   #40
firetribeent.

Gameroom cash: $848
firetribeent. would probaly buy you a drink.firetribeent. would probaly buy you a drink.firetribeent. would probaly buy you a drink.
Points: 9,440, Level: 10 Points: 9,440, Level: 10 Points: 9,440, Level: 10
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 2.9% Activity: 2.9% Activity: 2.9%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Pyerz View Post
This guy IS dope! That mix is f'in awesome!!
Ya DJ PAIN is the shit! He never disappoints and he's got skills.

firetribeent. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007   #41
dajames
$$$ 5 Dollar Baller $$$

Gameroom cash: $948
dajames is very friendly.dajames is very friendly.dajames is very friendly.
Points: 13,949, Level: 12 Points: 13,949, Level: 12 Points: 13,949, Level: 12
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
forget who you are or who you think you are, smile, have a conversation w/ someone you dont know....Its the underground baby, your not gunna become famous !!!!
Old 04-27-2007   #42
jaywood
elite member

Gameroom cash: $539
jaywood is the master of all that is SDR.jaywood is the master of all that is SDR.jaywood is the master of all that is SDR.jaywood is the master of all that is SDR.jaywood is the master of all that is SDR.jaywood is the master of all that is SDR.jaywood is the master of all that is SDR.jaywood is the master of all that is SDR.jaywood is the master of all that is SDR.jaywood is the master of all that is SDR.jaywood is the master of all that is SDR.
Points: 1,010,492, Level: 100 Points: 1,010,492, Level: 100 Points: 1,010,492, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajames View Post
forget who you are or who you think you are, smile, have a conversation w/ someone you dont know....Its the underground baby, your not gunna become famous !!!!
that's probably the smartest thing i have heard in years.

great response!
Old 04-27-2007   #43
Trancehed
Fuck that bitch Mandy

Shouts: 502
Gameroom cash: $29977
Thanked 6,078 Times in 3,617 Posts
Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.
Points: 111,445, Level: 34 Points: 111,445, Level: 34 Points: 111,445, Level: 34
Send a message via AIM to Trancehed Send a message via Yahoo to Trancehed
How bout not bitching every time someone actually throws a party?

I know, I know. It's hard

..i swear we all get along better when there are no parties :/

T R A N C E

A sandwich is a sandwich. But a manwich is a meal.

Trancehed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trancehed For This Useful Post:
Josh Ritter (05-23-2007)
Old 04-30-2007   #44
UPG
www.upgartists.com

Gameroom cash: $1469
UPG is very friendly.UPG is very friendly.
Points: 7,642, Level: 9 Points: 7,642, Level: 9 Points: 7,642, Level: 9
Level up: 71% Level up: 71% Level up: 71%
Activity: 3.0% Activity: 3.0% Activity: 3.0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajames View Post
Yeah, true that!

The Underground isn't where you get Famous, it's where you get RESPECT!
UPG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UPG For This Useful Post:
moody (04-30-2007), Sean Pyerz (04-30-2007)
Old 05-22-2007   #45
moody
DnB is my religion.

time to think about this again, peeps.

seriously.
Old 05-23-2007   #46
jero

Gameroom cash: $504
jero is nice sometimes.
Points: 2,691, Level: 6 Points: 2,691, Level: 6 Points: 2,691, Level: 6
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7%
Send a message via AIM to jero Send a message via MSN to jero
I'm thinking we need to show people that we're not just propping up DJs because they're local. A lot of the larger parties in LA book local/less known DJs for early sets and side stages. It's not often that I'm impressed with those DJs. The talent here is legit. Unfortunately, how to show people that without taking them to the party myself escapes me at the moment.
Old 05-23-2007   #47
Skandar
part-time rock star

Booking bad DJ's (or DJ's who just aren't ready to play out) is a terrible idea, period. I would never book a friend of mine to spin at my club event just because they're my friend - it reflects badly on me and my event, not to mention letting down the crowd. Put in your time, practice practice practice, and then come talk to me. If you're booking DJ's who suck because they have pull... well you need a new promotional strategy.

Omega Squad on Beatport

Last edited by Skandar; 05-23-2007 at 03:20 PM..
Old 05-23-2007   #48
yoshi
i'm bored

yoshi is very famous.yoshi is very famous.yoshi is very famous.yoshi is very famous.yoshi is very famous.yoshi is very famous.yoshi is very famous.
Points: 10,825, Level: 11 Points: 10,825, Level: 11 Points: 10,825, Level: 11
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Send a message via AIM to yoshi
There is no try, only do...

Dont stress it, it is what it is. Just keep doin what you do and have fun with it.

Stop overanalyzing.
Old 05-23-2007   #49
jero

Gameroom cash: $504
jero is nice sometimes.
Points: 2,691, Level: 6 Points: 2,691, Level: 6 Points: 2,691, Level: 6
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7%
Send a message via AIM to jero Send a message via MSN to jero
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi View Post

Dont stress it, it is what it is. Just keep doin what you do and have fun with it.

Stop overanalyzing.
Yah, I was thinking that the people here are doing what they should be and just need to give it time. It takes time for a scene to grow and change.
Old 05-23-2007   #50
DJADIVA1
SD HARDCORE QUEEN

Gameroom cash: $533
DJADIVA1 rocks the casbah harder than your momDJADIVA1 rocks the casbah harder than your momDJADIVA1 rocks the casbah harder than your momDJADIVA1 rocks the casbah harder than your momDJADIVA1 rocks the casbah harder than your mom
Points: 15,692, Level: 13 Points: 15,692, Level: 13 Points: 15,692, Level: 13
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi View Post

Stop overanalyzing.