San Diego Rvrs!

Go Back   San Diego Rvrs! > Forum > Misc. Stuff > Miscellaneous Posts
Home Forums Photos Arcade Experience Register Members List Calendar Gameroom [0]

Shoutbox

Welcome to the San Diego Rvrs forums!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free San Diego based community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! As an added benefit, this message will be removed from all pages once you have joined. Great huh?

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
DSC09005 Agent at Happy Funkin Winter BM 2009 April 21st! BBQ!

Old 08-19-2010   #1
misskittenxoxo

Shouts: 1
Gameroom cash: $2101
misskittenxoxo is very friendly.misskittenxoxo is very friendly.misskittenxoxo is very friendly.
Points: 10,137, Level: 11 Points: 10,137, Level: 11 Points: 10,137, Level: 11
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Places to buy/sell/trade clothes?

I went to buffalo exchange today with 8 trader joes paper bags filled with clothes. I knew they weren't going to buy many. I've sold clothes there before and I know how they are, they have all the weird styles there. They bought 3 shirts and that was it. I got store credit and bought one shirt with it haha. Its funny because a lot of the clothes there are super ugly. I have tons of clothes: shirts, dresses, jackets, some pants and shorts. I heard of this place called Thrift Trader that'll buy or trade all your clothes but they wont give you more than a dollar for each item. I have some clothes that I wouldn't mind giving up for that much, but some that I know I could get more than that for (especially the dresses, at least like 3 or 5 bucks or SOMETHING.) Does any one know of any places that will buy clothes? Do thrift stores do that at all? I need to get rid of these clothes theyre cluttering up my room!!

Last edited by misskittenxoxo; 08-19-2010 at 11:15 PM..
misskittenxoxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010   #2
red_man
Registered Abuser
! and ! Champion

Shouts: 119
Gameroom cash: $8423
Thanked 2,648 Times in 1,639 Posts
red_man is the master of all that is SDR.red_man is the master of all that is SDR.red_man is the master of all that is SDR.red_man is the master of all that is SDR.red_man is the master of all that is SDR.red_man is the master of all that is SDR.red_man is the master of all that is SDR.red_man is the master of all that is SDR.red_man is the master of all that is SDR.red_man is the master of all that is SDR.red_man is the master of all that is SDR.
Points: 45,672, Level: 22 Points: 45,672, Level: 22 Points: 45,672, Level: 22
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
You could just donate. I'm sure there are kids/families who would appreciate it very much. You know, with school coming up and all.
Old 08-19-2010   #3
...electrolite...

Shouts: 0
Gameroom cash: $1959
...electrolite... is nice sometimes....electrolite... is nice sometimes.
Points: 3,910, Level: 7 Points: 3,910, Level: 7 Points: 3,910, Level: 7
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Activity: 4.8% Activity: 4.8% Activity: 4.8%
I always forget these places exist. I usually just give stuff to good will.
...electrolite... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010   #4
Trancehed
Fuck that bitch Mandy

Shouts: 502
Gameroom cash: $29977
Thanked 6,078 Times in 3,617 Posts
Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.
Points: 111,445, Level: 34 Points: 111,445, Level: 34 Points: 111,445, Level: 34
Send a message via AIM to Trancehed Send a message via Yahoo to Trancehed
I usually just bag stuff up and set it by the dumpster. Someone always picks it up.

T R A N C E

A sandwich is a sandwich. But a manwich is a meal.

Trancehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010   #5
misskittenxoxo

misskittenxoxo is very friendly.misskittenxoxo is very friendly.misskittenxoxo is very friendly.
That was what I was thinking of doing after I went to buffalo exchange, donating to good will. But my dad kept talking about how a lot of my clothes are really nice (plus either him or I paid for them.) and he said, "Well, buffalo exchange has all those weird 'trends' so thats why they didn't take many." I know he would be mad if I just donated them all, maybe I'll do that if no other store takes them. I've donated a lot of clothes to good will in my life tho thats for sure. I love those big red metal bins they have on main streets for it.

I checked all the clothes for stains or tears and they have none and all have been taken care of well. I guess this thrift trader place takes each item for .50 cents each, or you can trade 3 items for 1. I will probably find some clothes I like and trade them, that would be better because I guess the clothes there cost 6 bucks each. So either get 1.50 for 3 items or I could trade 3 items for a shirt that costs 6 dollars? That seems pretty smart. I was reading reviews on it online and how hard it is to find what you want there cuz it isn't well organized, but I guess I can give it a try. But i'd still like some other options!!
Old 08-19-2010   #6
misskittenxoxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancehed View Post
I usually just bag stuff up and set it by the dumpster. Someone always picks it up.
My dumpster is inside a gate lol. my laundry room has been cluttered with trash bags filled with clothes for a while. then last nite i decided to go thru all my clothes in my room and found 3 trader joes bags worth of stuff i never wear and dont want. too many clothes!!!:/
Old 08-19-2010   #7
Trancehed
Fuck that bitch Mandy

Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.Trancehed is the master of all that is SDR.
Points: 111,445, Level: 34 Points: 111,445, Level: 34 Points: 111,445, Level: 34
I think there are a few second hand shops in hillcrest that pay. My old neighbor worked at I think it was called Flashbacks.

T R A N C E

Old 08-20-2010   #8
misskittenxoxo

Quote:
I think there are a few second hand shops in hillcrest that pay. My old neighbor worked at I think it was called Flashbacks.
Yeah I know what store that is. its across the street from buffalo exchange in hillcrest. but they have a lot of goddy clothes or vintage ones. they wouldnt take any of the clothes i have thats for sure. thanks anyways
Old 08-20-2010   #9
BdReligionGrrl
jungle dork

Gameroom cash: $3996
BdReligionGrrl rocks the casbah harder than your momBdReligionGrrl rocks the casbah harder than your momBdReligionGrrl rocks the casbah harder than your momBdReligionGrrl rocks the casbah harder than your momBdReligionGrrl rocks the casbah harder than your momBdReligionGrrl rocks the casbah harder than your momBdReligionGrrl rocks the casbah harder than your momBdReligionGrrl rocks the casbah harder than your mom
Points: 26,827, Level: 17 Points: 26,827, Level: 17 Points: 26,827, Level: 17
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
The Buffalo Exchange in Hillcrest is waaaaay snobby and picky about what they'll buy and how little they'll pay you for it (when they even take ANYTHING)... which I think is pretty funny too because they really do sell some ugly clothes in there, it takes forever for me to dig through it all for the good stuff.

Try the Buffalo Exchange in PB on Garnet Ave... it's way more welcoming of "mainstream" styles and I've always had much better luck selling clothes there.
BdReligionGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010   #10
misskittenxoxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdReligionGrrl View Post
The Buffalo Exchange in Hillcrest is waaaaay snobby and picky about what they'll buy and how little they'll pay you for it (when they even take ANYTHING)... which I think is pretty funny too because they really do sell some ugly clothes in there, it takes forever for me to dig through it all for the good stuff.

Try the Buffalo Exchange in PB on Garnet Ave... it's way more welcoming of "mainstream" styles and I've always had much better luck selling clothes there.
The lady who was looking thru my clothes went thru em so quick, barely looking at them. She was really nice and talkative though, and told me about that thrift trader place. I had a lot of sweaters, shirts, and dresses that were the "buffalo exchange" styles, and she barely looked at them or unfolded them. I used to like buffalo exchange when I was like 11 and 12 and I prob brought in a good amount of clothes that I had originally bought there. I asked if the Pb one would take any of the clothes, she said I could try but she knows the styles for buffalo exchange so she doesn't think they would. I am going to try anyways, I'm going to go with my sister and she is going to bring some clothes of her own too. She thinks theyre more of "takers" too. Do thrift stores buy/exchange clothes too? Do you know of any good ones?

She told me 12 dollars store credit for 3 shirts, two which were really sick satanic shirts and 1 that was vintage. Or 8 dollars cash. So i decided to take a look in the store. It took me a while to find something I liked. And it was 11 dollars. I liked another shirt better, but I couldnt tell if it was too big for me and didn't feel like trying it on so I didn't even bother. I know for a fact they didn't sell this one satanic shirt for "6.50" like the priced it. All the shirts there are 6-20 dollars.
Old 08-20-2010   #11
BdReligionGrrl
jungle dork

BdReligionGrrl rocks the casbah harder than your momBdReligionGrrl rocks the casbah harder than your momBdReligionGrrl rocks the casbah harder than your momBdReligionGrrl rocks the casbah harder than your momBdReligionGrrl rocks the casbah harder than your momBdReligionGrrl rocks the casbah harder than your momBdReligionGrrl rocks the casbah harder than your momBdReligionGrrl rocks the casbah harder than your mom
Go on yelp.com/sandiego and search for second hand clothing stores... I'm sure there are plenty more in SD than just Buffalo Exchange, and I'm also pretty sure the others will be much less snobby.
Old 08-20-2010   #12
misskittenxoxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdReligionGrrl View Post
Go on yelp.com/sandiego and search for second hand clothing stores... I'm sure there are plenty more in SD than just Buffalo Exchange, and I'm also pretty sure the others will be much less snobby.

thank you!!
theres a lot of reviews on stores, do you think i should bother reading thru them to see if the stores buy/exchange clothes? or do you think i should take down some of their numbers and call them and ask if they buy/exchange clothes?
Old 08-20-2010   #13
Skandar
part-time rock star

Shouts: 314
Gameroom cash: $22417
Thanked 6,010 Times in 3,530 Posts
Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.
Points: 66,400, Level: 26 Points: 66,400, Level: 26 Points: 66,400, Level: 26
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Activity: 14.3% Activity: 14.3% Activity: 14.3%
You buy too many clothes. Also, you can try Rags on Newport in OB (they are also picky though).

Omega Squad on Beatport

www.soundcloud.com/TheOmegaSquad

www.soundcloud.com/TheSkandar
Skandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010   #14
misskittenxoxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skandar View Post
You buy too many clothes. Also, you can try Rags on Newport in OB (they are also picky though).
haha youd think right? half the clothes i had were in bags that've been sitting around because i didn't want them and didn't know what to do with them...the other half were things in my room i never wore and mixed in with my clothes. i only have enough room for the clothes i actually wear so its time to get rid of em ahahah
Old 08-20-2010   #15
BdReligionGrrl
jungle dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskittenxoxo View Post
thank you!!
theres a lot of reviews on stores, do you think i should bother reading thru them to see if the stores buy/exchange clothes? or do you think i should take down some of their numbers and call them and ask if they buy/exchange clothes?
It might be easier to just call a few of them if the answer isn't immediately obvious. The reviews are usually helpful in letting you know if it's a good store or not, though. Oh and there's a little search bar at the beginning of the reviews, so you can search for reviews that have the key word(s) you're looking for (i.e. "buy" "used" etc).
Old 08-20-2010   #16
misskittenxoxo

i called some stores and i found one called city digz that might take your clothes for store credit if they are like new
Old 08-20-2010   #17
vag
i got mah flippy floppies

Gameroom cash: $11875
Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,285 Posts
vag is the master of all that is SDR.vag is the master of all that is SDR.vag is the master of all that is SDR.vag is the master of all that is SDR.vag is the master of all that is SDR.vag is the master of all that is SDR.vag is the master of all that is SDR.vag is the master of all that is SDR.vag is the master of all that is SDR.vag is the master of all that is SDR.vag is the master of all that is SDR.
Points: 29,518, Level: 18 Points: 29,518, Level: 18 Points: 29,518, Level: 18
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Send a message via AIM to vag
I was just going to suggest City Digz. They're good.

Austin and I took a bunch of shoes and jeans that he had never worn to Buffalo Exchange a couple of weeks ago, many still with tags - they only took 1 pair of the jeans and all the shoes.

They explained a few things to us: they only give you 1/3 of what they are going to put it on the shelf as, and when it comes to things like sweaters and jeans, they have certain things that their staff is trained to look for - especially with designer items - especially since there are so many outlets to buy knock off stuff. (not saying your stuff is knock off) And since the stupid hipster fashion is "in", they have a hard time unloading some of the better looking trends... even from just last summer. (stupid, I know)

They sent us out with 2 or 3 pairs of jeans that still had tags on them saying $250+ - I guess stone-washed jeans and jeans with strategic holes or whatever are difficult for them to try to sell - and the girl checked inside the pockets of the jeans to double check the construction of the seams, and wasn't willing to take a chance on one of them because of something fishy in the thread or something.

BUT... the PB location is way less snobby, and if they don't want to buy your stuff, you can donate it there, too. I am not sure about the Hillcrest location and their donatability. There are a lot of thrift shops on Garnet that you could drop the clothes off at, too - they don't buy clothes, but like D said, I'm sure a lot of teenagers gearing up for high school with less of a bankroll would be appreciative of nice fashion.

V A G I T R O N

Last edited by vag; 08-20-2010 at 04:18 PM..
vag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010   #18
misskittenxoxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vag View Post
I was just going to suggest City Digz. They're good.

Austin and I took a bunch of shoes and jeans that he had never worn to Buffalo Exchange a couple of weeks ago, many still with tags - they only took 1 pair of the jeans and all the shoes.

They explained a few things to us: they only give you 1/3 of what they are going to put it on the shelf as, and when it comes to things like sweaters and jeans, they have certain things that their staff is trained to look for - especially with designer items - especially since there are so many outlets to buy knock off stuff. (not saying your stuff is knock off) And since the stupid hipster fashion is "in", they have a hard time unloading some of the better looking trends... even from just last summer. (stupid, I know)

They sent us out with 2 or 3 pairs of jeans that still had tags on them saying $250+ - I guess stone-washed jeans and jeans with strategic holes or whatever are difficult for them to try to sell - and the girl checked inside the pockets of the jeans to double check the construction of the seams, and wasn't willing to take a chance on one of them because of something fishy in the thread or something.

BUT... the PB location is way less snobby, and if they don't want to buy your stuff, you can donate it there, too. I am not sure about the Hillcrest location and their donatability. There are a lot of thrift shops on Garnet that you could drop the clothes off at, too - they don't buy clothes, but like D said, I'm sure a lot of teenagers gearing up for high school with less of a bankroll would be appreciative of nice fashion.
That is ridiculous!! they wouldn't take your jeans? i brought in some clothes with tags still on them that i had never worn. they didn't take them either. haha this probably sounds stupid, but i don't think i wear designer clothes at all, unless if a store like charlotte russe is considered a designer lol. (like the closet would be knockoff) i had probably like 10 dresses from charlotte or forever 21 that are like new, they probably cost any where from 15 dollars to 25 dollars each and im sure some where could sell them for 10 dollars or something.
I want to try that city digz place. they said they are taking summer clothes and dresses and stuff. what kind of styles do you think they would like?
and also the pb buffalo exchange. if nothing works ill prob give away the really nice clothes to my friend who's mom has no money ever. or sell them to trader thrifts. i don't really want to donate my clothes because my dad would get super mad. he works hard labor for his money and ive pretty much bought all my clothes with the birthday and christmas money hes given me, or the allowance he gives me for cleaning/good grades. i can think of some clothes that i have that i could donate that didn't cost much money, like all the Vneck shirts I have.
Old 08-20-2010   #19
vag
i got mah flippy floppies

Gameroom cash: $11875
Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,285 Posts
vag is the master of all that is SDR.vag is the master of all that is SDR.vag is the master of all that is SDR.vag is the master of all that is SDR.vag is the master of all that is SDR.vag is the master of all that is SDR.vag is the master of all that is SDR.vag is the master of all that is SDR.vag is the master of all that is SDR.vag is the master of all that is SDR.vag is the master of all that is SDR.
Points: 29,518, Level: 18 Points: 29,518, Level: 18 Points: 29,518, Level: 18
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Send a message via AIM to vag
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskittenxoxo View Post
That is ridiculous!! they wouldn't take your jeans? i brought in some clothes with tags still on them that i had never worn. they didn't take them either. haha this probably sounds stupid, but i don't think i wear designer clothes at all, unless if a store like charlotte russe is considered a designer lol. (like the closet would be knockoff) i had probably like 10 dresses from charlotte or forever 21 that are like new, they probably cost any where from 15 dollars to 25 dollars each and im sure some where could sell them for 10 dollars or something.
I want to try that city digz place. they said they are taking summer clothes and dresses and stuff. what kind of styles do you think they would like?
and also the pb buffalo exchange. if nothing works ill prob give away the really nice clothes to my friend who's mom has no money ever. or sell them to trader thrifts. i don't really want to donate my clothes because my dad would get super mad. he works hard labor for his money and ive pretty much bought all my clothes with the birthday and christmas money hes given me, or the allowance he gives me for cleaning/good grades. i can think of some clothes that i have that i could donate that didn't cost much money, like all the Vneck shirts I have.
Your dresses and such would probably go over better at City Digz than Buffalo Exchange. Most of the stuff I buy from B.E. is stuff that would have cost at LEAST $50 new - that's where I go to get my desert stomping jackets and dresses and stuff - but they're usually by skate brands or higher grade labels. Charlotte Russe stuff, while cute, has a really low resale value. It's like buying a Chevrolet Cavolier and expecting the trade-in value to be almost the same, whereas a BMW is much more likely to get a price closer to its true value - resale is a funny business.

I understand your Dad's point of view - I feel the same way when Kaila draws on her new pants when she's at school. But... value is subjective - I think your friend would probably be really stoked on the good will you bestowed upon her. Hell, I love getting my friends' hand me downs because I usually spend money on new clothes for Kai - I'm sure her mom would be really grateful, too. Try City Digz, though - they'd probably like most of your stuff that isn't worn out, which it sounds like your things are not.

BUT... keep in mind, if the clothes only cost upwards of $20 brand new, they're only going to resell realistically for $5-6... and you're not going to get close to that, because the store has to make a profit, too.

Maybe try selling them on eBay? Cut out the middle man.

V A G I T R O N

Last edited by vag; 08-20-2010 at 04:43 PM..
vag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010   #20
Barbie
Oh-God

Shouts: 294
Gameroom cash: $13536
Barbie is a n00b.Barbie is a n00b.Barbie is a n00b.Barbie is a n00b.
Points: 17,728, Level: 14 Points: 17,728, Level: 14 Points: 17,728, Level: 14
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
swap meet are always looking for clothes: santee, sweetwater and some others, too!

* Pet Nurse *
Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010   #21
Skandar
part-time rock star

Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.Skandar is the master of all that is SDR.
Why the hell do people own so much clothing they've never worn? I really don't get it.

Omega Squad on Beatport

Old 08-23-2010   #22
Trancehed
Fuck that bitch Mandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skandar View Post
Why the hell do people own so much clothing they've never worn? I really don't get it.
girls. shopping is a compulsion for them. Don't you know that?

T R A N C E

Old 08-23-2010   #23
Skandar
part-time rock star

Quote:
girls. shopping is a compulsion for them. Don't you know that?
Yes I know it. Doesn't mean I get it.

Omega Squad on Beatport